Thursday, June 5, 2014

"Where can we see red?" A Digital Story

For my class digital story project I decided to make a class book with my students. This week our new sight word was "red" so we went on a color hunt around the classroom then students had to draw a picture and write a sentence about what they found. 

Since the kids loved seeing their sight word animoto I decided to turn our paper book into a digital version. I have windows live movie maker on my laptop so I decided to try out that program. I took a video of each of my students reading their page then uploaded each page to movie maker. I added a title slide, which was pretty easy, then tried to add the "adult" spelling to their kid-spelled sentence on the screen. Adding in the text was a little tricky since I had to figure out how to time each text box to appear at the beginning until the end of each students page. I played around a bit with effects and found a transition that looks like turning a page, which I added to make it appear more book-like. 

I created this video in about 40 minutes while my kids were in special. Once they returned I  shared my work with my students. 
My kids were thrilled to hear their voices reading on the computer! Many of them couldn't believe it was really them. They were all really excited and we watched the digital story three times. 

Here is my first try with Windows Live Movie Maker; let me know if you have any movie maker expertise feedback! 

Hopefully you enjoy "Where can we see red?" nearly as much as my students did...


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed watching your students read their own work. I often find that kids can write something but then struggle with reading it back to me, so this is a great way for them to practice hearing their writing again and again! I created a similar style digital story using the voicethread app. I highly recommend this app for making quick class books out of student work!
    I would love to have your preschoolers in my class next year, they seem ready for K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Digital Story, Where can we see read? I am SO impressed by your students writing and reading. I'm sure your students had great fun recording and then viewing the story. Your digital story was such an innovative way for students to learn a new sight word, I bet everyone was engaged! Is windows live movie maker the same as IMovie? I used IMovie but it was a little time consuming.

    ReplyDelete